Monday, September 14, 2009

Michigan State Fair

The Michigan State Fair is the oldest State Fair in America. This year was the last year our state will have a fair. Sadly, there is not enough funding to put it on again in the future. Michigan is hurting, and it is such a shame that these are the types of things that have to be cut! Hopefully in the future we will have it back.

My mom, sister and I went over Labor Day weekend. Last week, I was a bit under the weather (not to mention wedding crazed. That will be the case until early November, so please bear with me as I may not be posting as often), so I'm just now getting these pictures off my camera and onto blogger!

My mother and my sister at the bull!:


The Coliseum:

Baby lamb born days ago:

And here is the produce! I got a bit carried away taking pictures of this! I used to love it as a kid!:



Prize winner:

Especially the Biggest Pumpkin!This was always my favorite! I believe it says 397 pounds!:

My sister in a garden:

Also from the garden:

My favorite part, the baking competitions:





Here, students made meals representing their heritage. I believe they were four courses. They each also put together a "table scape" to go with their theme:
My mom and I just loved the "Home Ec-y" (not a word, I know) stuff. This building was filled with all sorts of baked and canned goods, quilts, art work, and crafts. My mother was a Home Economics teacher, so this was right up her alley. She said she and my dad used to go to this building every year, and it hadn't really changed much. I really wish I had known about the baking competitions, as I would have been thrilled to enter one or two categories! It was also neat to see baked goods and artwork done by students from all over the state! My mother, sister and I could have spent hours in here, and I think we did!

Its so funny how we change as we grow into adults. When I was little, after I saw the Biggest Pumpkins and lambs, I was ready to forgo the rest and hit the rides. This year, we didn't even go on any rides, and just soaked up what makes the State Fair unique from any other carnival. I'm sad to see it go, but am so happy we enjoyed it one last year!

9 comments:

The Rest is Still Unwritten said...

That is sad they are cutting the fair! That's no fun! I used to love going to our state fair in Dallas...such a blast!

Beth Dunn said...

That looks like so much fun! We have something similar here. xoxo

GingerSnap said...

What fun! I'm sad to hear that this is the last year of it. I have a lot of family (...well all of it) in Michigan and I have heard how hard things are there. I hope you and your family are doing ok :)

Suburban Princess said...

So sad they are ending the fair :O( Where I grew up is the oldest/biggest fair in Ontario and I can see from your pics yours is similar. I love the home-ec building too!

LPC said...

That baby lamb is so cute!

Minnesota Girl said...

You'll have to come to the Minnesota State Fair. I believe it's the second largest in the U.S., behind Texas. It's awesome!!!

Headbands and Hand Bags said...

How much fun did you have! Great pictures!

Molly said...

As a notre dame fan I feel unloyal to say this but the fair looks like fun! Glad you had a wonderful time!

Shanna said...

why would Michigan not have a state fair anymore?! I'm from Indiana and I always love going to Indy for the State Fair and all of the county fairs are so fun too.