Wednesday, March 9, 2011

With Lent....

comes sacrifice. B and I are once again giving up fast food. This is more of a sacrifice for him I think, so I've decided to also give up candy. I've never been a huge candy eater, but over the last couple years, I've become truly addicted to Sour Patch Kids. Gosh, I love them! When I was recovering form surgery, I ate SO many!

A few years ago, I gave up shopping, and while it was very challenging for me, it was really rewarding. We've also given up pop. THAT was super tough. I also want to add something over the next 40 days. I've offered to volunteer at the ballet school where I attend classes. I can't dance again for several more months, but I still want to contribute to the Spring performance in some way. My teacher has some great ideas to get me involved. Hopefully, I'll be of some help to her too.

I'm brainstorming some other ideas to bring me closer to God. One idea I've had is to say the rosary at least once a week. I converted to Catholicism in 2007 (I was a Lutheran all my life), so saying the Rosary is not something I'm accustomed with. Mu Grandmother said it almost everyday. I'm also going to make an effort to be more patient with my family. We can all improve with that, I think.

Are you giving anything up? Or adding some type of service or devotion? I'd love to hear how you plan to use the next 40 days to bring you closer to God.

1 comment:

Muffy said...

These are great choices! I'm giving up sweets, I realized recently I consume a LOT more than I really thought I did. We're also stepping up the rosary game and a few other things. Good luck! Xx!